Course Title: Development and Implementation of NAVD 88 HS
Approved Florida Board of Professional Surveyors and Mappers – Course No. 7588
This correspondence course provides instruction and guidance in the understanding of the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 (NAVD 88) and the need for conversion from the old vertical datum, the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 (NGVD 29), to a new datum, NAVD 88. The course provides information needed in the practice of surveying and mapping. The course is based on Appendix C (Development and Implementation of NAVD 88) of the Department of the Army publication (EM 1110-1-1004) dated June 1, 2002, by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers entitled "Engineering and Design - Geodetic and Control Surveying",
National Flood Insurance Program
The objective of "Development and Implementation of NAVD 88 HS" is to present information that will assist the surveyor in using and understanding the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 for use in surveying and mapping applications.
A written examination will be used to determine if the course objectives have been met. The student must achieve a minimum of 70 percent correct answers in order to receive continuing education credit.
1. General Background
3. Purpose and Objectives of NAVD 88 Datum.
4. The National Vertical Control Network (NGVD 29 and NAVD 88)
5. Distinction Between Orthometric and Dynamic Heights
6. Problems with NGVD 29 and the need for NAVD 88,
7. Selection of Adjustment Method for NAVD 88
8. The NAVD 88 Adjustment
9. Maintenance of Parallel Datum by NGS
10. Other Datums
11. NAVD 88 and the National Mapping Program
12. Effects of NAVD on Flood Insurance Rate Maps and NFIP Communities